Does this one ring any bells?

Hmmm...

The official poster of the movie, the "Social Network"

All of us already (or at least, have an idea of them) know who were the people behind Facebook, isn’t it?

Rest assured, after you watch this film, you will think twice before using the network again.

The Social Network, directed by David Fincher, gives a glimpse of how Facebook came to be (or how, supposedly, it was created…) Here’s the story:

On a fall night in 2003, Harvard undergrad and computer programming genius Mark Zuckerberg sits down at his computer and heatedly begins working on a new idea. In a fury of blogging and programming, what begins in his dorm room soon becomes a global social network and a revolution in communication. A mere six years and 500 million friends later, Mark Zuckerberg is the youngest billionaire in history… but for this entrepreneur, success leads to both personal and legal complications.

(The paragraph above and below, indicated in italics, was written by Columbia Pictures )

Every age has its visionaries who leave, in the wake of their genius, a changed world – but rarely without a battle over exactly what happened and who was there at the moment of creation. The Social Network explores the moment at which Facebook was invented — through the warring perspectives of the super-smart young men who each claimed to be there at its inception. The film moves from the halls of Harvard to the cubicles of Palo Alto to capture the heady early days of a culture-changing phenomenon in the making — and the way it both pulled a group of young revolutionaries together and then split them apart. In the midst of the chaos are Mark Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg), the brilliant Harvard student who conceived a website; Eduardo Saverin (Andrew Garfield), once Zuckerberg’s close friend, who provided the seed money for the fledgling company; Napster founder Sean Parker (Justin Timberlake) who brought Facebook to Silicon Valley’s venture capitalists; and the Winklevoss twins (Armie Hammer and Josh Pence), the Harvard classmates who asserted that Zuckerberg stole their idea and then sued him for ownership of it. Each has his own narrative, his own version of the Facebook story in this multi-level portrait of 21st Century success – both the youthful fantasy of it and its finite realities as well.

(Taken from: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1285016/plotsummary)

Now that we know the story, i’ll tell you what i understood:

1. That Facebook was created so that conflict will be spread and people’s privacy will be broken;

2. That Facebook was created as a result of countless betrayals;

3. Plagiarism is depicted as an ordinary theme in the film;

4. Facebook’s functions are all designed to maximize exposure of private data to the public, and at the same time, make business moguls get the most profit out of it;

5. Facebook was simply created, in the first place, not out of good intentions.

Although i believe that 30 percent of the movie was shown exaggeratingly; the other 70 percent can be taken as reality. Thus, it gives us a rough picture of the people behind it (i.e their history, character, and backgrounds), and at the same time, how “The Social Network” came into being…

However, this is just my own opinion, and it dosn’t reflect the opinions of everybody here. If you want to form yours, better watch the movie!!!

İyi Seyirler!!!

Advertisements
Comments
  1. mak says:

    nek .. tma nga .!! ay nako!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s